Art Space Showcase‘ is where I love to share fellow artists and their work spaces.
Meet 52-week Illustration Challenge member Melissa Tan and her ‘art space’……
Melissa Tan, Singapore
1. Describe your art space…
Definitely an organised chaos. What passes off as my studio is an old wooden table which has the scars of many a craft project (before I found out cutting mats existed). It sits at the side of my room. Below that, I have a set of pull-out drawers which are the right size for storing paper, but unfortunately not the right strength to hold the weight of papers! (After several emails to Ikea and a bit of a ruckus later, they agreed to reinforce the bottoms of the drawers with metal rods).
2. When do you like to create? Do you have a favourite day of week or time of day?
Definitely during the mornings when the light is better and I don’t have to go to work (I’m a therapist for autistic kids by day).
3. Describe your art work. What are you working on at the moment?
Christmas is always my favourite time of the year. I like to make myself a hot or iced chocolate in my snowman mug then get down to painting. I’m supposed to be practising my pet portraits for a cat charity event coming up in December. I say “supposed to be” cos I get distracted… ooo, I see a bar of Kitkat
4. What mediums do you like to use?
WATERCOLORS! Also, a 0.38 uniball black ink pen (never blue, I don’t like blue ink) for sketching. And paper53 on the ipad too. I rarely sketch with a pencil.
5. List five favourite art tools that you couldn’t live without…
- My tiny brushes (ranging from 20/0 to 3/0). Without them, I would not be able to paint my miniatures.
- Black ink pens: 0.25, 0.38, 0.05
- Mechanical pencils: lead size 0.3 and 0.2 size
- White acrylic paint (for highlights)
- Trusty white eraser
- 3M polarising light. One of the best investments ever!
Follow Melissa online and purchase artwork:
Thank you Melissa for sharing your art space…..I absolutely love your organised chaos and I work in exactly the same way!
PS. If you are interested in sharing your art space…..please contact me nicky(at)nickyjohnston(dot)com(dot)au