Art Space Showcase‘ is where I love to share fellow artists and their work spaces.
Meet 52-week Illustration Challenge member Jolanda Jarman and her ‘art space’……
1. Describe your art space…
I actually have a purpose built art room but all the art work I have done since setting it up earlier this year has happened at my dining table. I have learned to be organised as I realise I am taking up family space (when I should be in my art room lol). I have designated one deep drawer next to the table to store everything I need so setting up and packing away is a very swift process. I do spread myself over the whole table as I work but it’s an organised mess …and loads of fun.
2. When do you like to create? Do you have a favourite day of week or time of day?
I plan my week days to take advantage of my 2 year old daughter’s nap time. So, you’ll generally find me squeezing in as much art between 1 pm and 3pm before we have to go and collect my other daughter from school. Again, when the little one is in bed at 7.30pm I might finish off a bit for an hour before my eyes just can’t focus any more. Weekends see a lot less art action as there is just too much going on with everyone home.
3. Describe your art work. What are you working on at the moment?
I had planned (when setting up my room) to focus on print making this year but I realised pretty quick that now is not the right time for that. So, instead, I am taking part in the 52 Week Challenge and ‘constructing’ moving part illustrations in the form of paper dolls. Perhaps they will lead to subjects for future printmaking projects. The doll you can see in the photos is being created for this week’s challenge theme word “carnival”.
4. What mediums do you like to use?
I am loving using pastel pencils on brown card.
5. List five favourite art tools that you couldn’t live without…
- Pricker with felt pad. For pricking holes for the joint pins.
- Retractable eraser. I often slice the end to make a nice thin point.
- Blu-tack. Essential for assembling time.
- Black Copic brush pen. For outlining each body piece.
- Tiny scissors. I dread the day this pair goes blunt.
Follow Jolanda online and purchase artwork:
Thank you Jolanda for sharing your art space…..I find it fascinating to have an insight into your work.
PS. If you are interested in sharing your art space…..please contact me nicky(at)nickyjohnston(dot)com(dot)au